Accessibility Tools and Resources
This page is a collection of links to external evaluation tools, tutorials, and to other useful websites.
Combined Guides (Word, PPT, and PDF)
- Guide to Usability and Accessibility of Course Materials (Word & PPT 2010 & 2013, & PDF wtih Acrobat X & XI)
- Top Accessibility Tips Quick Start Guide (Word & PPT 2010, & PDF with Acrobat X)
Microsoft Word 2013
Microsoft Word 2010
- Creating Universally Designed Word 2010 - Quick Start Guide
- Microsoft Word, Universally Designed by CSU's ACCESS Project
- Word 2010 Accessibility Tutorial by Microsoft
- Word 2010 Tutorial by WebAIM
- Word Video Tutorials by Atomic Learning (2007 & 2010)
Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
- PowerPoint 2010 Quick Start Guide
- Microsoft PowerPoint, Universally Designed by CSU's ACCESS Project
- PowerPoint 2010 Accessibility Tutorial by Microsoft
- PowerPoint 2010 Tutorial by WebAIM
- PowerPoint Video Tutorials by Atomic Learning (2007 & 2010)
- Multimedia, Universally Designed by CSU's ACCESS Project.
- Creating Accessible Flash Content by WebAIM
- Captioning with Camtasia Video Tutorials by Atomic Learning
- Camtasia Studio - Professional software for Mac and PC (DIY)
- Amara - Free web-based captioning (DIY)
- 3PlayMedia - Provides captioning and transcription for a fee.
- CaptionSync - Provides captioning and transcription for a fee.
PDF with Acrobat XI
- Creating Searchable Scanned PDFs with Acrobat XI - Quick Start Guide
- Creating Universally Designed PDFs from Office in Acrobat XI - Quick Start Guide
PDF with Acrobat X
- Creating Searchable Scanned PDFs - Quick Start Guide
- Creating Universally Designed PDFs from Office 2010 in Acrobat X - Quick Start Guide
- Adobe PDF, Universally Designed by CSU's ACCESS Project
- PDF Tutorials by Adobe
- PDF Tutorials by WebAIM
- PDF Video Tutorials by Atomic Learning
- View or download a blank VPAT form.
- BuyAccessible Wizard - an online resource provided by the Section 508 website to help find accessible vendors.
- Vendor Accessibility Resource Center (VARC) - an extensive alphabetical list of vendors with links to their VPATs.
- Section508.gov - Everything you need to know about purchasing under Section 508.
Website Evaluation Tools
- WAVE Tool - In-browser tool for testing specific sites.
- WAVE Toolbar - Firefox
- Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox and Chrome (includes accessibility options)
- IE Web Accessibility Toolbar (WAT) - Internet Explorer
- Contrast Checker by WebAIM
- Web Checklist (PDF Download) by George Mason University - uses WAT and Keyboard / Screen Reader to test specific categories.
- Testing Web Usability QuickStart Guide - questions to guide a screen reader user while evaluating a website.
Website Accessibility Resources
- WebAIM - Many articles with practical instructions on all aspects of electronic accessibility.
- Section 508 Checklist - Recommendations by WebAIM for complying with legal requirements.
- WCAG 2.0 Guidelines - Web Content Accessibility Guidelines produced by the Web Accessibility Initiative.
- WebAccessibility.Com - Great resource for best practices in Accessible Web Design.